Wednesday, October 11, 2006

City of Orange Council Meeting 10-10-06

So with everybody in campaign mode and trying to figure out how and when to throw mud at each other, I settled in for a nice evening of viewing the city of orange city council on tv.

The meeting was pretty dull, during the four o'clock session. That is until, the City Manager started to speak. He spoke about "quiet zones", which I don't know about. I believe it has to do with the trains in town from his comments about octa and grade crossings. Maybe somebody can let me know more.

He then turned it over to the city attorney and he spoke on illegal boarding houses. He said the new rules that were passed by the city council is working on shutting them down. That in most cases the owner is bringing the home to code quickly. It was also mentioned that his office is working on more ordiance to address group sober living homes and sex offenders.

At this point Carolyn Cavecche chimed in and stated she is concerned about the sex offenders and the illegal boarding homes and wanted to make sure that the city stays very aggressive and how she was dismayed that 5 people on parole are staying in a local hotel in orange. Which seems to have caught everybody off guard, good for her. Hope she is carry the light on the issue.
The council then their break and returned for the 7pm session. I tuned back in as they just approved a new mobil home park in orange. Why, I don't know. We don't need a new mobil home park. We need RV parking.

The next item was interesting, it was a liquor permit in town. A place called "Cairo Chicken" and they want to sell beer. The police said no way, do not allow it. However, Smith and Dumitru were ok, with allowing the sale. Murphy and Cavecche were against it. To me seems silly to allow beer and wine sales at any place other then a bar or a liquor store/supermarket. I would think baning the sale at all restaurants would be fine by me.

The final item, which I didn't watch the whole way was a store in the circle that remodeled. It started with the guy that owns the store, getting up and saying, yup I didn't do what I was told to do. I knew that was it for him, and it was. Smith, Cavecche and Dumitru all were very stern in their words to the owner. Smith and the owner, proceeded to go at each other until the Murphy said enough of this item.

I must admit, I have no idea, how it turned out. I turned the tv off and went to bed.

That is it for the City council meeting this week.

No comments: