Thursday, August 24, 2006

City Loan Program

Orange approves a loan and incentive program to help small businesses enhance their physical appearance.

By COURTNEY BACALSO
The Orange County Register

Orange

Cheryl Turner's tea-related retail store sells everything from party accessories to jewelry to clothing women could wear to tea parties.

But there is no place in her store to have a tea party.

She looked into expanding her store, but it proved to be too expensive – until now.

The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve the Small Business Assistance Program, which gives business owners and building owners such as Turner incentives to beautify properties.

The program includes six small-business incentives – four interest-free loans, a 3 percent interest loan and a fee-incentive program – for businesses that fall under the Orange Merged and Amended Redevelopment Project Area.

The area includes numerous pockets west of the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway.

"When they told me about it, I really got excited because I can finally continue with my plans," Turner said. "It's exciting as a merchant because it also encourages people around me to upgrade as well."

In 2001, the city started a similar program known as the West Chapman Reinvestment Program and Old Towne Restaurant Minor Rehabilitation Project, which Turner looked into two years ago.

"At the time, the program didn't fit with what I wanted to do because I wasn't a new business," Turner said, adding that costs would reach $20,000 even before breaking ground. "I walked away with my tail in between my legs."

No loans had been made from the old program, which had requirements that were difficult for owners to meet, said Barbara Messick, project manager for economic development projects.

Turner said she will submit her application before the end of this week.

"I can't wait. Before there was a lot of red tape that didn't make sense," she said. "Now, it's a more user-friendly program."

**This was the loan program that I didn't understand the other day at the council meetnig. It makes a little more sense now and seems on the surface to be a good thing. Hope more info becomes available. Either way, it shows yet again, that the Orange City Council is more or less business friendly.**

No comments: